Saturday, February 28, 2009

Luke 1 - Young and Old

Be careful what you ask for. Zechariah, John the Baptist’s father, puts God to the test, asking Him for a sign (it wasn’t enough that he was talking to an angel, I guess). God is faithful and he gives Zech what he asked for - he makes him mute until after John is born and then named. Ha! Now, Mary asks a similar question when Gabriel comes to talk to her. “How will this be, since I am a virgin?” Looks like she had a little doubt right there, but she isn’t struck mute or any such thing. Why the dichotomy, did God want to make sure nothing got in the way of hyperveneration?

Zechariah was a priest, Mary was a young girl.
Zechariah was mature, Mary was naive.
Zechariah should have known better, Mary was clueless.
Where am I? I’ve been on this journey a while, should it come as any surprise when I act Mary’s age that I am treated like Zechariah?
Nope.

No comments:

Post a Comment