Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Self-Examination

Betrayal is kind of a big thing. It normally isn't something you just jump into. I can't imagine a husband just waking up one morning and saying, "I think I'll cheat on my wife today." I highly doubt that Benedict Arnold had a sudden revelation of, "I'm gonna switch sides, that's the ticket." These things happen over time, they are the culmination of a series of small decisions, small choices, ones that may seem insignificant at the time. Which decisions like this am I making?

If I was going to turn my back on my country, it might start with disagreeing with government decisions or regretting paying taxes or doubting the abilities of our leaders. Uh oh. If I was going to cheat on my wife (WHICH I'M NOT), it might start with fantasies about celebrities, looking too long at other women in real life or having intimate conversations with other ladies.

When do we check ourselves? When do we look at our lives and see what tiny choices are leading us in the wrong direction?

During the Last Supper, Jesus told the disciples that he would be betrayed by one of them. The guys got a little nervous. They started checking themselves and their hearts. They asked Jesus if they would be the one.

Here's the point...
Some of us will cheat on our wives. If I want to uphold the promise I've made not to, I've got to check myself and see where I'm messing up. If I just blindly say, "Nope, I'm good, nothing to worry about here," I've already lost.

All of us are in bondage in one way or another, we're not free. If I want to experience life the way God intended, I've got to check myself and see where I'm not free. If I just blindly say, "Of course I'm free, nobody can tell me what to do," I've already lost.
Some of us

No comments:

Post a Comment