Tuesday, December 21, 2010

BFF

For a long time I've heard people talk about "the great reward" and being welcomed by Jesus in the afterlife. Most of the time these talks include Jesus saying the words, "Well, done my good and faithful servant" or something to that effect. As of today, I disagree.

In John 15:15 Jesus says to the disciples, "I no longer call you servants, because a servant does not know his master's business. Instead, I have called you friends, for everything that I learned from my Father I have made known to you."

The more I know God, the less what I do feels like work. The more my heart understands His heart, the easier it is to love others. The more I give to Him, the less I need for myself. The more I let go of myself, the less I feel like a slave.

When I get to the great hereafter, I'm not looking forward to some distant heavenly stranger approving my good deeds with a nod and a ceremonial pronouncement. I can't see that being fulfilling or worth the effort.

Now, I can't wait to see my friend, my partner, to run to him and feel the embrace that I've missed for so long. To reminisce about the things we did together, to laugh about how wrong I got things and cry about the highs and the lows. To welcome the others who lived out a mission with us and through us. To relax with good friends after a life well lived.

That's not a reward, that's heaven.

1 comment:

  1. I agree. I had a thought recently that I think goes along with this...My salvation is no longer my greatest point of thankfulness. I'm more excited about who God is than for what He did for me. Sometimes I'm afraid that sounds like I'm not grateful for salvation - I am! But I think it's because I've gotten to know God better, and my life, my walk, my fall, and my salvation are minute in His story. I am glad He saved me - not because I get to go to heaven, but because I get to know Him.

    ReplyDelete