Friday, April 17, 2009

God Bless You

When I think of blessings, I normally think of things you can get - blessed with money, blessed with cars, blessed with good looks, blessed with talent, blessed with family, blessed with friends. Is this really what blessings are all about, or do I have this idea of blessing because I'm focused on me more than I'm focused on God? When God says He has plans to bless and not curse me, does He mean He will give me stuff and not take it away? That just doesn't seem right.

What does God mean by bless? What does blessing really look like? It seems like it would mean a better life than the one I have now. Does that come from more stuff or even more or better relationships?

"When God raised up his servant, he sent him first to bless you by turning each of you from your wicked ways."

Jesus' first blessing to us was to turn us from our sins. His first mission wasn't to die. It wasn't to come back from the dead. (That doesn't lessen the importance of those missions in any way.) His first mission was to bring repentance. We can't forget the importance of Jesus' first mission. We can't forget the importance of repentance; it is a blessing.

Suddenly, I don't feel so bad asking for blessings.
God, bless me today. Turn me from my wicked ways.

No comments:

Post a Comment