Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Turning the other Cheek

"They called the apostles in and had them flogged. Then they ordered them not to speak in the name of Jesus, and let them go. The apostles left the Sanhedrin, rejoicing because they had been counted worthy of suffering disgrace for the Name."

Flogging => Rejoicing.
Now, I'm no expert on flogging, but rejoicing was certainly not the intended result. Either the guards seriously messed up their job, or there was something very different about these men.

I want their attitude. I want to rejoice in the suffering I endure (that is so much less than what they went through). I want to relish the opportunity to be called out, to be persecuted, to suffer.

But, I don't. I work to not be persecuted, to fit in, to be accepted. It seems like that is what I should do to attract people and spread Jesus' love.

No comments:

Post a Comment